Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Haves and have nots

Rather than update you on my life, I decided
Venezuela is a place that has some strange things going on. Here are the ones I would like to discuss here:

Things that are missing in Venezuela on a daily basis:
-SUGAR This one is serious, so serious that I brought it from the US. I also lugged 4 kilos across the country to give to my host mom. I am kinda really proud of that. The other Fulbrighters and I hoarded small packets in México too. Like I said, actually a kind of huge problem.
-Harina PAN. This is the type of flour that Venezuelans use to make their staple dish, arepas. I actually recieved a text telling me that Harina PAN had arrived at a store. This one is not so hard for me, but man, sucks for people who like Arepas.
-Electricity-- Read a previous post for intense detail. Yeah, it kinda just comes and goes when it wants. Makes it real difficult to teach a class when it is like 100 degrees outside and the AC goes
--Water-- ok, this one is not affecting me so directly, but I know lots of people who it is affecting. Again, 100 degree weather and no shower= hot mess.
Milk sometimes goes too... that one is really, really hard for me.

Things you can always seem to find:
-Straws--So this country has no sugar, no flour, but you can bet your bottom dollar you can find a straw. No matter where you are, if there are drinks for sale, there will be a straw. If there isn´t, your sale does not count. DRINKING FROM THE BOTTLE OR CAN? no way! that is not acceptable. I have seen people get REALLY mad when there are not straws available, so mad that they refuse to purchase beverage with said person. Maybe this is the one thing Venezuela will never lack...
I have gotten really into straws though. They are pretty awesome. Maybe Venezuela is onto something here.
-Fanny packs-- Ok, fanny packs are a big joke in the US. I think we used them in the 90s or something, but now the only time they are mentioned is in a context of jokes and laughter and VH1 shows about the good old days. They are, however, huge and in style in Venezuela. There are several Venezuelans who I cannot imagine without their fannypacks. There are even mall vendors whose sole work is to sell fannypacks. Again, this abundancy is something I enjoy. And hey, what better way to gaurd your things than to have them hanging of off your waist line?
--Blackberries! SO many people, regardless of socioeconomic status, have blackberries. And if they do not have one, the goal is to get one. As I pull out my cheap, battered phone, I always feel good knowing that the robber will probably jack the blackberry from the girl next to me. Enough said, I think.

Ok, thats all for know. My attention span has shortened significantly, wouldn´t want to wear it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment